The Bishops Avenue #1
The extension and total renovation of a Mansion in Hampstead’s most prestigious road. Construction of a vast 10,000sq.ft. basement below the rear garden and extending under the existing house effectively doubling the size of the property.
- A complex engineering design and execution was necessary to ensure the stability of the main house during the construction of the vast basement.
- We managed the planning process to ensure detailed planning permission and Listed Building Consent would be granted.
- MBA developed a plan which involved the wholesale demolition of one wing of the existing property to allow faster and better access to the rear. This enabled the removal of excavated earth at the ground works stage and the importing of materials to complete the construction of the basement and complete the garden reinstatement.
- In consultation with the architect, MBA undertook feasibility studies to review the development options.
- It was decided to completely refurbish and extend the main house and also form a large underground leisure complex with a swimming pool under the garden connected to the main house via a link at the rear.
- We managed the planning process to ensure detailed planning permission and Listed Building Consent was granted. MBA assembled a Design Team to formalise the project design and allow us to produce tender documentation to procure a Main Contractor under a traditional JCT contract.
- The interior design brief was sympathetic to the heritage of the existing building, with a modern twist. In contrasting harmony, the new basement is of a far more modern style.
- We employed specialist artisan craftsmen to achieve the high level of finish required. MBA ensured that these trusted specialist firms were successfully woven into the contract. MBA maintained a constant flow of information to all neighbours ensuring respect for them was maintained by all contractors throughout the project.
- MBA managed all the planning, maximisation of the overall floor area of the property and creation of the ‘wow’ factor ensuring the highest possible return for our client.
- Formation of a large underground leisure complex with a swimming pool under the garden connected to the main house via a link at the rear.
- MBA began this project with a complete project review and feasibility study of the proposed development.
- We then completed a full pre-construction logistics report and plan.
MBA managed all the planning, design and construction phases of the project through to completion.